[erlang-questions] Problems building erlang from source

Jamiel Almeida slashfoo@REDACTED
Mon Apr 7 00:57:46 CEST 2014

Hey guys,

I'm trying to build erlang from source (tried github and tar.gz sources
from erlang.org)

I'm running into issues when it proceeds to build the pcre side of things.

Here's an excerpt of the point where `make` breaks:
gcc -c -Werror=return-type -g -O2
-I/home/jamiel/repos/erlang/erts/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
-fno-tree-copyrename -D_GNU_SOURCE -DERTS_SMP -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wdeclaration-after-statement
-DUSE_THREADS -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT -DPOSIX_THREADS
-D_POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS -DERLANG_INTEGRATION -o
/home/jamiel/repos/erlang/erts/emulator/pcre/obj/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/opt/pcre_exec.o
pcre/pcre_exec.c
In file included from pcre/pcre_exec.c:4451:0:
pcre/pcre_exec.c: In function ‘match’:
pcre/pcre_exec_loop_break_cases.inc:3:1: error: label ‘L_LOOP_COUNT_585’
used but not defined
 case 685: goto L_LOOP_COUNT_585;
 ^
pcre/pcre_exec_loop_break_cases.inc:2:1: error: label ‘L_LOOP_COUNT_499’
used but not defined
 case 599: goto L_LOOP_COUNT_499;
 ^
pcre/pcre_exec_loop_break_cases.inc:1:1: error: label ‘L_LOOP_COUNT_474’
used but not defined
 case 574: goto L_LOOP_COUNT_474;
 ^
pcre/pcre.mk:60: recipe for target
'/home/jamiel/repos/erlang/erts/emulator/pcre/obj/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/opt/pcre_exec.o'
failed

Full output of the (./configure && make) commands is here:
https://gist.github.com/slashfoo/c71437a01e708086072f

My system is an x86_64 Arch Linux install with kernel 3.13.8-1

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.8.2 20140206 (prerelease)

Other prereq versions:
m4 1.4.17-1
flex 2.5.39-1
perl 5.18.2-2
jre7-openjdk 7.u51_2.4.6-1
jdk7-openjdk 7.u51_2.4.6-1
make 4.0-2
gcc 4.8.2-8
libxslt 1.1.28-3
fop 1.1-1
autoconf 2.69-1

I have tried building other "tags" on the git checkout, and from their
respective tarballs from erlang.org with the same results.

Grepping for "L_LOOP_COUNT" on the source directory yields two files that
make use of it, and the build-time-generated file
erts/emulator/pcre/pcre_exec_loop_break_cases.inc
.

Googling for L_LOOP_COUNT and erlang, etc yields no useful results, of
which the most "informative" is this one:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9647427/fail-to-compile-erlang-r14b03

But the only use for that result is knowing that I'm not the only one
seeing this and that the issue is at least 2 years old.

I'm not using MacOS, or kerl; I'm using Arch Linux, and building by
HOWTO/INSTALL.md.

In a blind/crazy idea that it might be trying to use my system PCRE
(8.34-2) instead of the one in the sources directory I tried installing
some of those locally to my home directory and using LDFLAGS and CFLAGS
pointing to lib/include dirs where I installed them. This had no effect.
And, of course, running from a clean bash instance with no shell magic
applied to the environment.

The reason I want to install from source is that I require R17 to poke
around, and my distro doesn't have packages for it yet. When it failed, I
tried building other Rs from source, and found I was getting the same
issues.

I have the very deep feeling that I'm missing some simple thing, but can't
spot it.

What steps would you suggest I follow? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--
Jamiel Almeida