[erlang-questions] Maximising memory compactness

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Fri Apr 4 20:09:58 CEST 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Andreas Schumacher wrote:
> Honestly, we did not measure the number of users, but we made a
> rough guess based on the questions, comments, and/or bug reports we
> got for the half-word emulator.

I'm not arguing for or against halfword-emu, as I'm not the designated
maintainer, but it just works and most likely does for everyone else
who has it enabled. I never had a bug caused by it, and on some
machines it's the reason I can use Dialyzer with an amd64 beam.smp.

If my professional experience with users of code I was responsible for
is any indication, then it's very safe to assume that users only
report bugs. I've learned that users won't even report back if a
hotfix works. Hence, you can't use non-existence of bug reports or
comments as an indication of how widely/successfully something is used.
Some code has vocal users (gamers), most doesn't.

As you didn't answer the x32 ABI question, I take that to mean there's
no plan for that. Correct?