[erlang-questions] security concerns

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Fri Apr 4 15:44:30 CEST 2014

John Kemp wrote:
> On 04/04/2014 08:10 AM, Arif Ishaq wrote:
>> I just saw a post by Carlos-Trigoso on the security, or rather lack
>> thereof in Erlang
>> (http://carlos-trigoso.com/2014/03/04/security-taken-lightly/) .
>>
>> It seems like a fair evaluation.
>
> I would suggest that it is _not_ a fair evaluation.
>
> As Loïc mentioned, name any language or OS environment that does
> something like what the author suggests for Erlang?

Well.... Fabric comes to mind:
http://web.mit.edu/fabric_v0.2.0/fabric.pdf, so does E (erights.org).
As does a LOT of work in the areas of secure distributed operating
systems, distributed agent systems, and such.

I guess you could also look at various web service platforms.

On the other hand, Erlang stands alone as a mature, proven,
in-production distributed run-time environment for highly concurrent
systems - so it's not clear that comparisons to other languages or
operating system environments apply.

> But more than that, why would protocols for connecting nodes inside of
> a network be the same as protocols used between data-centres,
> particularly when connections between data centres will possibly go
> across networks not owned by the owner of the data centres?

Am I wrong, but I wasn't under the impression that Erlang's distributed
processing functions are only for connecting nodes inside a data center.

Miles Fidelman