[erlang-questions] Maximising memory compactness

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Fri Apr 4 11:39:14 CEST 2014

On 04/04/2014 10:33 AM, Olivier BOUDEVILLE wrote:
> Let's suppose one would like to run a large, distributed (Erlang)
> application, with many processes, and that ends up, in some cases, being
> RAM-bound.
> The half-word emulator would seem the simplest/most elegant solution to
> do so ....
 >
> So, my question: would relying on a set of 32-bit VMs per host,
> instead of a single 64-bit VM, look like the best option here?

My opinion is (and has always been) that the half-word emulator seems
cute on the surface but deep down is a bad idea (esp. for a language
with automatic memory management like Erlang, or if your application has
any plans of growing someday).

So I would really advice against it. In fact, IMO it's better to try to
forget about its existence for anything other than for small embedded
devices or in machines that do not have more than 3GB of memory.

Unfortunately, I am very busy to elaborate more on this right now. But
even if I had more time, I would probably try to find better things to
do than think/talk about the half-word emulator. Leaning back and relax
until you forget about it (or simply waiting for the day that it is
taken out of the distribution) is preferable IMO.

Kostis