[erlang-questions] erlang.mk, relx, multiple apps, directory structure

Alex Shneyderman a.shneyderman@REDACTED
Tue Apr 1 01:08:47 CEST 2014

https://github.com/rustyio/BashoBanjo
https://github.com/sylane/erod

both use rebar and multi-app setup. The problem that you are bound to
run into with this setup is the long list of inter-dependent apps. The
exact list of the apps becomes important as the ones that do not
depend on anything should percolate to the top and the neediest apps
should be at the bottom.

It is possible to come up with a similar structure for erlang.mk +
relx. But you'd have to do a lot of gnu make hacking before it works
(for example, the link that Loic posted sidelines the problem of
inter-dependent apps all-together, I believe; there is a lot more than
meets the eye). Another problem is some dependencies are built with
rebar, so some funky versioning schemes that rebar supports and pre
and post hooks make it hard to live without rebar - erlang.mk can call
rebar but still you will need rebar for those particular deps.