[erlang-questions] An answer: how does SASL know that a process died?

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Thu Oct 31 17:15:39 CET 2013

Hi,

RC> I'm not sure if that can RC be changed or if it needs to remain
RC> backwards compatible with existing code out there.

I think it would affect people, but not code.

People might use the 'process X crashed...' message as part of their
development workflow, to see problems while hacking.

I doubt removing it would affect code. The only thing it's likely to
affect is logging code, and logging code won't care if there's less to
log. The least farfetched idea I can come up with for useful code that
would be affected is if someone clever has built a "supervisor-less"
supervision system based on parsing those messages.

Matthias