[erlang-questions] Maths Problem -> 2452.45*100. = 245244.99999999997

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Wed Nov 27 10:08:39 CET 2013

Wow.
Always nice with war stories from the dusty past :-)
Does your story imply that the "Maths Problem" can be calculated differently
still using the standard IEEE representation ?

Regards
/Tony

On 27 nov 2013, at 05:35, Michael Turner <michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED> wrote:

> Gee, now might be a good time to bore everyone with a war story: a
> startup I once worked for independently /pre/-invented the Pentium
> Floating Point Bug, against my strenuous protests. How could this
> happen, I wondered, as I was losing the battle for IEEE-standard
> purity? Maybe, I thought, it's because we're a small company that
> can't afford to hire experts to ratify my opinion?
>
> We were using Weitek FPU adder and multiplier chips in our hardware,
> and I implemented floating point division the way they said to do it -
> the right way. Tried to, that is. I got overruled.
>
> Not too many years later, for the Pentium design, Intel acquired
> Weitek's IP. Then they introduced very similar mistakes in floating
> point arithmetic, through no fault of Weitek. Ours, at least, could
> have been patched by sending customers a new ROM to socket. Intel's
> errors went onto a single chip.
>
> What I learned about IEEE floating point arithmetic is that if you try
> to clean up floating point "errors" one way, you just squeeze the
> errors out some place else.
>
> What I learned about people is that Size Doesn't Matter.
>
> The proximate provocation in both cases: somebody didn't like how the
> number printed. I first saw "errors" like when I was in high school,
> programming in Dartmouth BASIC. I was told, "floating point is like
> that - if it weren't that, it would be something worse." So I was
> prepared. But lots of people now graduate with C.S. degrees who aren't
> prepared.
>

> Regards,
> Michael Turner
> Executive Director
> Project Persephone
> K-1 bldg 3F
> 7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
> Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
> Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
> Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
> Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
> turner@REDACTED
> http://www.projectpersephone.org/
>
> "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
> together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
>

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>> On 27/11/2013, at 3:01 PM, Sanath Prasanna wrote:
>>
>>> I accepted your comment. But generally we expected full value. I did same in another scripting language like php. It is given correct result.
>>
>> Wrong.  It *calculated* the same number as Erlang did,
>> but then it *displayed* a different number, a rounded version.
>>
>> m% cat >foo.php
>> <?php
>> $a = 2452.45*100;
>> echo $a; echo "\n";
>> $a = $a - 245245.0;
>> echo $a; echo "\n";
>> exit;
>> ?>
>> <EOF>
>> m% php foo.php
>> 245245
>> -2.9103830456734E-11

> [...]

"Installing applications can lead to corruption over time. Applications gradually write over each other's libraries, partial upgrades occur, user and system errors happen, and minute changes may be unnoticeable and difficult to fix"