[erlang-questions] Developing killer / open source apps

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Tue Nov 26 17:26:40 CET 2013

Masklinn wrote:
> Miles Fidelman wrote:
>> Tim Watson wrote:

>> Isn't that called USENET? :-)
>>
> It’s true that USENET is decentralised, but it still has servers, and
> AFAIK most usenet traffic is not encrypted. Sounds more like a darknet,
> like W.A.S.T.E or Freenet.

Not to be pedantic, but USENET meets "no central server" but not "peer
to peer" (unless, of course, each peer is running a server). But yes,
Freenet is probably closer in spirit.

Having said that - does anybody remember the "Netscape Collaboration
Server?" Essentially a collaborative environment built on top of NTTP.
(As I recall), it used all the encryption options available w/ NNTP,
added a directory service and access controls (cryptographically
enforced if I remember correctly). Essentially it made it trivial to set
up private, secure newsgroups for work groups. Unfortunately, all traces
of it seem to have disappeared after AOL bought Netscape. I keep
thinking it would be worth rebuilding.

Miles Fidelman