[erlang-questions] Can't run my command line Erlang program

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Fri Nov 15 02:00:34 CET 2013

On 11/15/2013 01:46 AM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
> In particular, I'm confused what dialyzer doesn't like about line 60.
>
> 59  FirstOne = case is_binary(FirstTemp) of
> 60    true -> binary_to_list(FirstTemp);
> 61    false -> FirstOneRaw
> 62  end,
>
> Not sure what's wrong. I tried using `_` instead of `false`, but got the
> same warning. Should I use an if/else instead of case?

Dialyzer is telling you that it thinks FirstTemp will never be a binary
in your program, so the case statement you have there is unnecessary.
So, effectively it tells you that you can rewrite the code above to:

       FirstOne = FirstOneRaw,

The question is why do you expect that FirstTemp may be a binary at that
point?

Kostis