[erlang-questions] Heads-up: The cost of get_stacktrace()

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Wed Nov 6 08:20:41 CET 2013

Thank you for sharing.

/Tony

On 5 nov 2013, at 21:36, Richard Carlsson <carlsson.richard@REDACTED> wrote:

> (Executive summary: exceptions cheap, but erlang:get_stacktrace() kind of expensive; also, avoid 'catch Expr'.)
>
> We have wrestled for some time with some very strange unresponsiveness and high amounts of garbage collection, and finally managed to track down the problem. It was in a piece of code that matches some input data against a number of different "patterns", trying one possibility at a time in a failure-driven loop. The actual problem was a wrapper that executed each call in a try/catch, with a default catch clause looking something like this:
>
>  try match(Pattern, Data)
>  catch
>    Class:Term ->
>      {foo_error, {Class, Term, erlang:get_stacktrace()}}
>  end
>
> The stacktrace was usually discarded again further up and the whole thing was retried with another "pattern". This code got executed tens of thousands of times per second. When we removed the call to get_stacktrace(), the system instantly started to behave much better.
>
> The purpose of this mail, then, is both to warn about sloppy use of get_stacktrace() and to clarify how stack traces are handled and wherein the costs lie.
>
> First of all, triggering an exception is quite cheap. The necessary stack trace information (by default, 8 pointers) is quickly saved in an opaque blob, and control gets passed up to the nearest catch handler (if there is one). If there is a handler, normal Erlang execution will resume, trying to match the catch-clauses. If no catch clause matches, the exception state is unchanged and we look for the next catch handler, until either some catch clause matches or the top of the call stack is reached (which will terminate the process).
>
> If a catch clause matches, execution just continues and no extra cost is incurred as long as you don't try to inspect the stack trace. If none of the clauses match, the only cost was that of trying the clause patterns and guards. For example, terminating a process by "exit(normal)" has very little overhead even if it passes through a number of catch handlers that just pass it on upwards, because even the process exit signal will not contain the stack trace. And using throw/catch for nonlocal return out of a deep recursion is very cheap.
>
> *But* if someone wants to actually look at the stack trace of the exception, the "opaque blob" mentioned above must be reified as an Erlang term, by calling erlang:get_stacktrace(). This amounts to looking up the module and function name and arity corresponding to each of the saved code pointers, and creating a corresponding list of MFA tuples on the heap. (This also happens if the process terminates due to an exception of type 'error' or 'throw', to include the stack trace in the exit signal.)

> [...]

"Installing applications can lead to corruption over time. Applications gradually write over each other's libraries, partial upgrades occur, user and system errors happen, and minute changes may be unnoticeable and difficult to fix"