[erlang-questions] Erlang package managers?

Olav Frengstad olav@REDACTED
Wed May 29 12:45:21 CEST 2013

@Andre: Didn't find that when searching, a rename is required from my part

@Dmitry:
I would call that the beauty of git, having a ./deps.sh doing the same
thing would be same amount of lines.

My issues with Rebar are minor things related to git, but this forces me
every now and then to do manual work which interrupts my workflow.

1) updating git remotes does not work
2) tags that has been forcefully updated does not work
3) If Rebar was interrupted while fetching deps it will refuse restart the
fetch because of a missing .app file
4) the little trick of calling get-deps before update-deps

Ideally I want a build env where i can pick different refs for a dependency
based on the environment, i.e. dev can use a different branch than
 dev/stage/prod/test. Rebar does not give me an easy way of doing this.

All of the problems above could off course all be scripted around, but I
found using other tools removed the complexity of my previous development
cycle (at the cost of a Makefile and epm + relx)

All in all I think Rebar is a good tool for simplifying the Erlang
development cycle, but I have found it difficult to find good workflow.

Olav

2013/5/29 André Graf <andre.graf@REDACTED>

> Hello Olav
>
> I am confused now, are you talking of 'epm' by Jacob Vorreuter
> (https://github.com/JacobVorreuter/epm) or is your 'EPM' something
> different?
>
> Cheers,
> Andre
>
> On 29 May 2013 11:11, Olav Frengstad <olav@REDACTED> wrote:
> > I'v previously been using Rebar to handle source dependencies, but
> recently
> > started working on an alternative solution called EPM [1] which fixes
> some
> > of the issues I had with Rebar's dependency management.
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/lafka/epm

> Erlang
> >>
> >> QuickCheck mini, which contains all the basic features, is free and can
> be
> >> downloaded from QuviQ's web site.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dominic Williams