[erlang-questions] Erlang and/or MPI

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Thu Jun 27 16:05:33 CEST 2013

Dear All

Thank you for your very helpful comments.

I certainly don't want to shoehorn erlang in where it's not appropriate.
  I think (especially after reading these comments and further
ponderation) that my first step should be to understand the resource and
how best to use it (eg before Tuesday I'd never heard of Infiniband).

I had thought to use erlang as a kind of 'project manager' to
orchestrate the ways tasks are shared between nodes/machines/cores.  If
MPI already does this, I should probably try both approaches, and
compare for performance and ease of writing & reading.

Writing an Infiniband driver for erlang sounds interesting but it would
probably be a diversion.

However, investigating languages good at numerical computations (esp.
Haskell and Fortran) would probably not be a diversion.  Fortran can
talk MPI directly it seems.  If Fortran is not too painful to write and
read, that might be a monolingual solution.

Best wishes

Ivan

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy