[erlang-questions] Un-identifiable SSL issue when upgrading from R 15B-03 to 16A, 16B, 16B-01

Wed Jun 26 14:48:19 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Motiejus Jakštys <desired.mta@REDACTED>wrote:

> Can you elaborate on that? For me packages from debian experimental seem
> to work pretty OK, for more than two years, on many environments.
>
> If there are concrete issues, they could be addressed IMO.

Two ways in which they are horribly broken:

1. They split up the OTP release into different parts. For instance, you
need erlang-crypto in order to get the crypto application. It is not
installed by default. Usually this leads to poor newbie users asking why
they can't do crypto:start() to test their SSL stuff and so on. It would
have been easier just to package everything into a single package.

2. erl -man lists won't work since man-pages are installed in odd places,
or are not installed at all.

3. In older Ubuntu versions, there were symlinks which interfered with
release generation so you could not generate a release.