[erlang-questions] binary typed schema-less protocol

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Tue Jul 30 10:27:09 CEST 2013

On 30 Jul 2013, at 07:58, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 30/07/2013, at 2:25 AM, Wojtek Narczyński wrote:
>> It makes me wonder, what is wrong with ASN.1?
>
> The original poster explicitly asked for a >> schema-less << protocol.
>
> ASN.1 is very much schema-based.

True. Our approach does not require a schema, but enables schema-based validation.

Regarding Yang vs ASN.1, there are several diskussion threads not least in the Yang diskussion forums on why a new language would be better for NETCONF than using e.g. ASN.1. I'm sure Martin Björklund* could give a dissertation on the topic, since he is the main author of the Yang RFC. Whether he wants to is another matter. :)

Personally, I really prefer Yang over ASN.1.

BR,
Ulf W

* For those of you who don't know, Martin was one of the architects of the first OTP releases, as well as the author of OTP's SNMP application.

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
http://feuerlabs.com