[erlang-questions] binary typed schema-less protocol

ANTHONY MOLINARO anthonym@REDACTED
Mon Jul 29 19:28:40 CEST 2013

Also, slightly off topic, but not totally, is a serialization system I wrote about 15 years ago and which has been in continuous production since (it logged all traffic Goto.com/Overture.com/Yahoo did, as well as traffic at AT&T and OpenX, so I'd guess somewhere in the 100s of trillions of messages sent).

http://www.lwes.org/

Unlike some of the others mentioned (but similar to ASN.1 IIRC), is that it is self describing, so doesn't require compiling bindings.  It's original purpose was to pass dictionaries between language's (so send a Java HashMap  receive a perl hash, or an erlang dict).  The values in the dictionaries have evolved somewhat, but we've kept things backwards compatible.

It's serialization format is length and type prefixed, so doesn't suffer from the issues Richard pointed out in tnetstrings, however since it's meant to send somewhat smallish bits of data over UDP there's not usually a memory concern.

Anyway, just throwing it out there as its worked well for particular problems for many years for me.

-Anthony