[erlang-questions] [ANN] NkSIP Erlang SIP Application Server

Carlos González Florido carlosj.gf@REDACTED
Thu Jul 11 12:39:32 CEST 2013

Yes, you are right.

NkSIP is clearly an OpenSIPS/Kamailio replacement (but NkSIP is not yet
even near the maturity of those projects, and I'm not a SIP guru with the
experience of the people backing them).

The reason to develop NkSIP instead of using OpenSIPS/Kamailio/etc. is that
(at least for me) it is quite complex and not "natural" to develop
applications with these SIP servers. I don't really fully support their
architecture with hundreds of modules... For me it should be more like an
application flow. You don't need a Least Cost Route, Call Detail Record or
distribution module, it is much easier to do it in your application code
within 50 Erlang code lines. At least using Erlang, I think it makes no
sense to have a lot of modules to connect to a lot of databases, just
implement the callbacks you need and use whatever backend you want.  I'm
not saying that being modular is a bad thing (NkSIP will probably have some
kind of modules or plugins in the future), but they should be much more
horizontal.

This approach is much simpler, now I have to prove it actually works ;-)

Another reason is that SIP is evolving quickly, and it is much, much easier
to add functionality using Erlang and a OTP structure that in low level C
modules.

Of course OpenSIPS and Kamailio should perform much better, but I suppose
this advantage is not so clear when you start using many processor cores.
Finally, NkSIP will have soon a fully distributed, highly available
solution. While you can build such a solution with those projects, it is
going to be much more difficult.

NkSIP looks like a perfect fit for Kazoo!