[erlang-questions] If you are homesick for object.selector

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri Jan 25 16:08:50 CET 2013

Manipulating nested records is a pain - how about this?

Assume we have three records

-record(top, {a::#one{},     b::#two{},  c::#three{}  }).
-record(one, {x::#foo{},  y::#bar{} })
-record(foo, {p,q,r}).
and I want to unpack the p field from a variable X containing a top
record.

I don't want to write

  #top{a=#one{x=#foo{p=P}}} = X

this is messy and error prone

This should do the job

    P = extract_from(X, top,p)

A compile transform could figure out the code to make. In this case the
tag p has a unique path from the top root. In the case where the required
tag is not unique, we'll need to "hint" the path.

We just give the parse transform enough hints to figure out
the path at compile time. We should get a error if the path does not
uniquely
specify the element.

Cheers

/Joe