[erlang-questions] If you are homesick for object.selector

Darach Ennis darach@REDACTED
Fri Jan 25 14:07:34 CET 2013

Hi guys,

There is a problem here. Any reasonably sized or structured erlang
application
requires records, despite the grody record syntax. The alternative? Big
hairy unstructured
clods of tuple and lists and things? Worse. Unmaintainable in and of
itself. Hard to pattern
match. Had to manipulate. Hard for humans to grok whilst reading without
squinting your
brain hard and quizzically at the terminal ...

Unlike the matrix, it's not blonde, brunette or a redhead ... It's
something else! ;(

So they're needed? Yes. Use by choice? No. And that's the problem.

I secretly hope for for something better to come along. A big gnarly
unstructured
and frequently accessed tuple would be fine, for example, if there was some
kind
of tuple path expression language... like XML has XPath? Jackpot.

So maybe frames aren't needed at all. Maybe frames would be nice. Perhaps we
just want to reach out and touch the a subset of tuples of lists of tuples
of lists of
tuples of ... I'm pretty sure with or without frames that solves 80% of the
need for me.

The other 20%? -  Native support for Kaysian transforms and other natural
conveniences
for efficient slicing, dicing, filtering and merging.

I'm not sure record or any other syntax is actually the problem.

Also, the nice thing about adding something like an XPath like thing for
tuples?
It doesn't break existing applications. It's backward compatible. It's
forward
migratable. No new syntax because an expression can be a plain old list of
binary (string).

So, we maybe xmerl_xpath already has 99% of what's needed...

Cheers,

Darach.