[erlang-questions] erlc speed (or lack thereof), Make and emake

Björn-Egil Dahlberg wallentin.dahlberg@REDACTED
Fri Jan 25 03:49:23 CET 2013

2013/1/25 ノートン ジョーセフ ウェイ ン <norton@REDACTED>

> Bjorn -
>
> Why do you think it isn't feasible to use rebar to build erlang
> applications within OTP?

Well, rebar would be a key-component to build otp. That means that rebar
probably have to be included in the repo as an application.
Not impossible, but I don't know if it would be ideal.

What I would like, and I don't know if anybody shares this thought:

OTP split down to just a core, namely runtime system, kernel, stdlib,
compiler, sasl perhaps a few other applications.

External dependency to rebar. Perhaps rebar could be included in that core.
>From a technical standpoint, there is ofc no problem. But it would be nice
to solve it in another manner.

I don't really know if this is true or not, but I get the feeling when I
use rebar that I loose some strictness and it adds some magic. A lack of
sense of control. Just the paranoia speaking perhaps. =)

Build the rest of OTP with rebar, pulled down via git or some other means.

Applications are nowadays normally oriented in separate git repositories.
Seems natural to use this scheme for OTP applications as well.
It has some additional advantages:
* Promotes modularity.
* Can have separate release cycles.
* Developers can choose different versions for there system, not merely the
system version R16*, R15*, R14*, etc ..

I can see many advantages.

I'm pretty sure there are disadvantages too. Cross application updates that
otherwise needs strict version-control can be done with one commit in a
single repo. Thats pretty neat.

but I digress, to answer your question. I don't think there is a technical
problem, but perhaps an administration problem. I would like to see rebar
thrive outside OTP.

We won't go into this any further right now though.

// Björn-Egil