[erlang-questions] unexpected result of term_to_binary

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Tue Jan 22 18:35:48 CET 2013

I don't see the problem. Erlang doesn't have strings, it only has lists of integers so unless you start tagging things there is no safe way to differentiate between them. As a general list can be a list of anything so the encoding must be able to handle this. However, the encoding special cases a list of small (<256) integers and uses a more compact representation. That it calls it a STRING_EXT doesn't really mean anything, they could just as well have called it LIST_OF_SMALL_INTEGER_EXT instead. The description of STRING_EXT actually says this:

"String does NOT have a corresponding Erlang representation, but is an optimization for sending lists of bytes (integer in the range 0-255) more efficiently over the distribution."

So why not just treat it as such?

Robert