[erlang-questions] [Newbie] Erlang or Erlang/OTP

Ryan Brown ryankbrown@REDACTED
Wed Jan 16 04:45:36 CET 2013

Thank you all for the excellent advice. I'm not entire which to follow
however. Seems like there is some disagreement in terms of best practices.

What I gather from these responses:

   - apt erlang packages are likely out-of-date
   - esl-erlang (sorry, typo in first email) may or may not be correct
   version (this was found at
   https://www.erlang-solutions.com/downloads/download-erlang-otp)
   - For erlang mode I should get the package

It sounds like the Erlang Solutions version should be good for development
but I am still not sure if this is best. I do tend to prefer not to compile
from code if that is at all possible. However, I am certainly not opposed
to it if that is what is generally recommended.

I think for the time being I will continue with what I have. It sounds like
it also includes OTP which I will be needing shortly.

So far I am loving erlang. It's an incredibly powerful tool to add to my
tech toolbox. For some reason many people I have spoken with seem to shy
away from it seeing it as "difficult" or "too narrowly focused". But I can
say, from what I have learned so far, that neither appears to be true.

As for the project I am working on. It is a globally distributed, highly
available and scalable, rabbitmq backed, pub/sub solution. It's been a
tremendous solution created by a great former developer of ours that has
become, somewhat, a victim of it's own success. It now needs some work on
reducing latency across globally-distributed nodes and some supporting
maintenance and monitoring. I'm very excited to be a part of it and expect
to be a regular contributor, both on the giving and receiving end, to this
group.

Again, thank you all!

-rb

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:33 PM, ノートン ジョーセフ ウェイ ン <norton@REDACTED
> wrote:

> If you want to build and/or to install Erlang/OTP from source, kerl (
> https://github.com/spawngrid/kerl) is a handy tool.
>
> regards,
>
> Joe N.
>
> On Jan 16, 2013, at 09:00 , Alex Babkin <ababkin@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> Hi Ryan
>
> I'd suggest not using the apt but rather just get the freshest sources and
> build it from source
> http://www.erlang.org/download.html
>
> do tell us about the project you will be maintaining
>

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Ryan Brown <ryankbrown@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> I have begun learning erlang using the tutorial at:
>>
>> http://learnyousomeerlang.com
>>
>> So far it has been wonderful and I expect the remainder to be as well.
>> However, as a newbie to Erlang, I have come across an issue and need some
>> clarification.
>>
>> When I began the tutorial I just did an install via apt-get like so:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install erlang
>>
>> This has worked very well in the console for the excercises thus far.
>> However, I am now at the point when I want to begin using emacs. When I go
>> to install the emacs erlang-mode it seems to be requiring OTP. (I had
>> planned on starting with the Erlang language fundamentals then move-on to
>> OTP specific stuff) When I went to install OTP it instucted me to use
>> apt-get and install esl\erlang:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install esl\erlang
>>
>> However, when I do this I receive conflict errors. So, I just went ahead
>> and removed erlang:
>>
>> sudo apt-get remove erlang
>>
>> Then installed OTP as instructed:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install esl/erlang
>>
>> Now it appears to be good but I am unsure of what state I am in. Could
>> someone please explain the difference? Am I missing anything from core
>> erlang? I want to make sure because I am about to begin work maintaining
>> a system that uses erlang and OTP.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> --
>> -rb