[erlang-questions] [Newbie] Erlang or Erlang/OTP

Motiejus Jakštys desired.mta@REDACTED
Wed Jan 16 02:20:05 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Ryan Brown <ryankbrown@REDACTED> wrote:

> sudo apt-get install esl/erlang
>
> Now it appears to be good but I am unsure of what state I am in. Could
> someone please explain the difference? Am I missing anything from core
> erlang? I want to make sure because I am about to begin work maintaining a
> system that uses erlang and OTP.

esl/erlang is a usually recent package provided by erlang solutions.

Standard Erlang from debian based repositories is usually a bit out of
date (I am not aware of any official repository which has >=R15B).

Looks like you are good. However, as a safety measure, do
dpkg -l \*erlang\*

to see if you really do not have any conflicts (you should have
probably esl-erlang only).

Unless you run into problems that cannot be solved other way, I would
advise against compiling from source when there are working packages
available (this applies not only for Erlang, but for any software in
general). That's what packages are for!

Good luck and enjoy learning!

Motiejus