[erlang-questions] Strings and Text Processing

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu Jan 3 10:34:53 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM, J K <jmakarlsson@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure I understand your 20.000 files example.

*This was just to give an estimate of the total memory size*

> Are you suggesting that the user should limit the number of erlang
> processes to the number of cores or are you suggesting that the VM
> compresses the erlang process data when not running?

You could experiment with limiting the number of active processes and
compressing data when it's not being used (you'd have to do this yourself as
part of the application).

To first approximation one process per parallel activity is a good rule of
thumb (and you let the Erlang scheduler figure out who is to run where) -
the alternative is
that you limit the number of parallel processes and decide when and where
they execute - you are basically saying "because I know a lot about the
specific details of my application I can do a better job of  process
management than the Erlang VM" - this is pretty tricky.

That would be really nice if it can be done with only a small performance
> penalty, say 10-20%.
>

> In my case I start 50.000 to 100.000 processes , one per file (it's an
> (map reduce like) application to do feature extraction for some machine
> learning algorithms) .

How big is each file? how much processing is needed per-file to do feature
extraction?

> One erlang node uses about 7GB of memory. I can probably tune it a bit (a
> lot?) more by using binaries but it would be nice to have an option to
> compress process data when not running, for people that are lazy/not an
> erlang expert/does not have that much time (my case)/or just as an
> indication of how much memory that could be saved by using binaries.

look up the manual entry for hibernate/3

http://erlang.org/doc/man/erlang.html#hibernate-3

The hibernate BIF minimise the size of a process before putting it to
sleep. It won't
compress any process data - but it does trim the stack and heap before
suspending a process. If you have a large number of processes that sleep for
long times this might be a good idea. If your processes sleep for short
times and wake up at random then it probably won't help.

Performance tuning is a black art. Unfortunately it's *very* system
dependent. If you change the number of cores, or operating system, or
amount of memory you have to start again.

If in doubt measure !

/Joe