[erlang-questions] Strings and Text Processing

Masklinn masklinn@REDACTED
Thu Jan 3 00:40:48 CET 2013

On 2012-12-31, at 21:11 , Matthew Evans wrote:
> Really there are advantages for using both lists or binaries, but I think one of the "issues" with string handling is the need for consistent library support between the two.  What would be nice is to have consistent support with the Erlang libraries to handle both types (e.g. string, re, regexp etc.).
> Just my 2c…

Which would work nicely if the understanding of "strings" (and the
corresponding string-using functions) was extended to iolists (even more
so if bare binaries were included in iolists as well, but it's easy
enough to wrap them in a list), as I previously noted.

Although there's an issue when using binaries for strings: what's
the encoding?