[erlang-questions] Unicorn-style load balancing in Erlang?

Xiao Jia stfairy@REDACTED
Thu Jan 3 01:53:44 CET 2013

Thanks for your reply.

I have used ranch before, and I think Unicorn is more than an acceptor
pool. In ranch, acceptor processes only do "accept", and then dispatch
the request to some worker process. I believe swarm works the same way
as a middleman.

In Unicorn, there's no separate worker (or acceptor) process; a
prefork process is both acceptor and worker. All the prefork processes
start out by calling "accept()" on the same listener socket. Then it's
the OS kernel who determines which "accept()" to awake, while others
remain sleeping.

>From the documentation of ranch:
> Our observations suggest that using 100 acceptors
> on modern hardware is a good solution, as it's big
> enough to always have acceptors ready and it's low
> enough that it doesn't have a negative impact on
> the system's performances.

What if there's no separate worker process? Will many number of
acceptor-and-workers have a negative impact as well?