[erlang-questions] Takeover failure

Szoboszlay Dániel dszoboszlay@REDACTED
Mon Dec 2 09:15:09 CET 2013

Hi,

OK, "tons" might be a bit dramatic. There are 3 or 4 receive statements in
the dist_ac gen_server code without a timeout. These are the potential
hang up points. The root cause of all the problems is that dist_ac assumes
all applications are started on all nodes in the same sequence. Now
imagine a typical setup: the boot script starts app A then B, but
unfortunately A has a restart timeout of 5000 and B has 3000. If the node
running these apps crashes, the rest of the cluster will attempt to start
B then A. But if the crashed node is restarted by heart within 3 seconds,
it will rejoin the cluster before the takeover and attempt to start A then
B. Result: neither of the apps fails over to anywhere and the restarted
node won't even finish it's init sequence.

Regarding a patch: I wrote a fix for the first couple of bugs I
discovered. The problem is that I did it in my work time at a big company,
where an entire security and legal department is thinking hard since then
whether it is OK to release code to the public...
To be honest, I don't push them hard right now either, because my fixes
are not good for the above described scenario. That would need a complete
rewrite of the dist_ac code to allow multiple apps to start concurrently.
I have some ideas how to do it, but I won't have time to write a fix until
January, I'm afraid (this time I'd do it from home).
And I don't think this feature would be widely used btw. The dist_ac
module hasn't been modified since the erlang/otp git repo exists.
Furthermore I believe you are also safe to use it as long as you have only
one distributed application. So I guess I'm the first one to run into this
problems using 5-6 distributed apps and 5 nodes with equal priorities.

BR,
Daniel