[erlang-questions] lager and dynamic log cutting via compiled module

Andrew Thompson andrew@REDACTED
Tue Aug 27 05:14:21 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 09:56:55PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Can you explain the reticence about having compiler and syntax_tools as
> dependencies? At first I was mostly assuming you wanted lager to handle
> compiler logging or some such so it was a question of startup ordering.
> Given goldrush I'm wondering if it were a more a general concern about just
> removing dependencies for file sizes and so on.

It was mainly the complexity incurred for application startup by
depending on those applications, even though they're only library
applications, the application controller insists they be 'started'.

That complexity seems to be mostly handled by lager now, so the original
reasons may not have any grounding anymore.

Andrew