[erlang-questions] Fwd: How to connect android to raspberry pi

Paul Barry paul.james.barry@REDACTED
Tue Apr 9 11:42:53 CEST 2013

Forgot to CC this the Erlang list... my reply to Joe's request.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul Barry <paul.james.barry@REDACTED>
Date: 9 April 2013 10:42
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] How to connect android to raspberry pi
To: Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED>

Hi Joe.

Please see my Python for Android article on Linux Journal:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10940 - you'll need to install the
Android SDK, but not all the Eclispe stuff to get it to work.  My little
example app is not far off what you need/want re: communicating with a web
server running on some device somewhere.  Other examples are in Chapter 8
of my Head First Python book:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920003434.do

Main point: you can do what you need on your Android device in a couple
lines of Python.  :-)

Hope this helps.

Paul.

On 9 April 2013 10:34, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> Dear Aunty Erlang List,
>
> I would like to write a simple Android Application.
>
> What I want to do is build an Android client running on my phone
> talking to an Erlang server running on my raspberry pi.
>
> I know how to do the server bit on the raspberry pi, that's really really
> easy,
> but do not know how to do the Android bit.
>
> Can anybody refer me to a simple( see footnote [1]) and *minimal* [2]
> example code for Android that does (say) the following:
>
>    - Puts a single button on the screen of my phone with the word "click"
>    - When I press click sends a GET or POST request to a
>      web server with a known IP address and port (this will be my
>      raspberry pi)
>
> [1] When I say *simple* I mean:
>
>     - All the code is made in emacs by editing text files
>     - There is a makefile
>     - There are some instructions (that work) which tell me how to
>       move the application from my development machine to my phone
>
> What I do not want is:
>
>     - flexible cross-platform responsive designs
>     - integrated IDE cross-platform
>     - no stupid IDE that asks me questions that I do not understand
>     - one click deployment
>     - powerful API with bells and whistles
>     - built-in security, authentication ...
>     - ...
>     - designed for non-programmers
>     - no programming necessary
>     - make your first application and earn $$$ with one click
>
> [2] Minimal means
>
>     as few (text) files as possible - and *with* comments
>
> I want the good old fashion hard method. Sweat blood to make it work,
> "read and understand *every* line of code in every file" - no
> dependence on libraries - write the code in emacs - automate with
> "make."
>
> I know I'm a Dinosaur, and I should use Eclipse, but I always get
> stuck at the first question when it asks me questions that I do not
> understand.
>
> I am seeking enlightenment, not ease of programming.
>
> Cheers
>
> /Joe

Paul Barry, w: http://paulbarry.itcarlow.ie - e: paul.barry@REDACTED
Lecturer, Computer Networking: Institute of Technology, Carlow, Ireland.