[erlang-questions] Adding new operators?

David Goehrig dave@REDACTED
Mon Apr 8 02:12:40 CEST 2013

> So I've been playing with a couple operators that compliment existing Erlang.

And to continue the thought, these operators are currently added via source preprocessing and translated to some module calls. They aren't terribly fast, but have shown themselves to be terribly useful.

@ - the f-script inspired parallel send which either sends to a list of pids

$ - like @ but matches the registered process names against a pattern/regex in parallel

While both of these are implementable using ordinary Erlang, having explicitly parallel message send operators makes multicall & friends much easier to reason about.

One of the use cases I'm particularly interested in is applying these operators to run many parallel NLP and machine learning applications to a stream of incoming messages.

Next step is integrating into the stack better. But the question remains, what is the best way to add a new operator.

Dave

-=-=- dave@REDACTED -=-=-