[erlang-questions] Erlang application packaging

Ali Sabil ali.sabil@REDACTED
Thu Sep 20 17:49:21 CEST 2012

Ok, sorry :)

Basically in Erlang, the concept of release is pretty close to the
concept of Linux distributions, a release allows you to package the
erlang runtime and a set of applications together into a distribution.
The easiest way to generate releases is probably by using rebar. Here
is a small quickstart on how to generate a release using rebar:

  mkdir -p product && cd product
  wget http://cloud.github.com/downloads/basho/rebar/rebar && chmod u+x rebar
  mkdir rel && cd rel
  ../rebar create-node nodeid=product
  # edit the reltool.config file to remove the non-existing product
application from the release
  # this is done by removing the product atom right after the sasl
atom and the comma separating them
  # as well as {app, product, [{incl_cond, include}]} and the comma before it
  # this is to have a running release
  ../rebar generate
  ./product/bin/product console  # this will start a node based on your release

The applications you want to include are generally placed in apps/
and/or deps/ at the root and you just need to edit the reltool.config
file and add
  {lib_dirs, ["../apps", "../deps"]}
inside the sys section

That said you might not really need to use a release to package your
application, if you have an erlang runtime available on the target
machine you could either turn your application into an escript (the
escriptize command in rebar) or use a shell script.

Hope this helps,
Ali