[erlang-questions] Binary match in function head doesn't compile

Erik Pearson erik@REDACTED
Wed Oct 31 21:47:46 CET 2012

Hi Dmitry,

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Dmitry Kolesnikov
<dmkolesnikov@REDACTED> wrote:
> Erik,
>
> I believe you can use closure instead of case to achieve re-usability of binary context.
>
> e.g.
>
> parse(Len, Bin) ->
>    fun(<<Tkn:Len/binary, $, , Rest/binary>>) ->
>            {Len, Tkn, Rest};
>         (<<Tkn:Len/binary, $: , Rest/binary>>) ->
>    end.

Have you tested this for performance? Wouldn't it require a new
closure for every invocation of parse? I'm not sure that the binary
match context would be preserved through a closure -- I though that
optimization was for self recursion.
But I don't really know -- and I really shouldn't care -- heck, this
is the stuff I'm hoping to leave behind with the wonderful world of
Erlang!

Erik.