[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Oct 25 05:27:25 CEST 2012

On 23/10/2012, at 6:38 PM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> imo programming in that context is like math. It should be understandable by all. Now imagine if all maths where localized...

I find that deeply ironic coming from someone with a name that sounds like French.

Maths *is* localised.
English-speakers write one thousand two hundred and thirty-four and
fifty-six hundredths as 1,234.56; French-speakers as 1.234,56.
English-speakers write the half-open interval from x inclusive to y exclusive
as [x,y); French-speakers as [x,y[.
There is a statistical technique called correspondence analysis which I have
often found extremely valuable, but it was developed in France, and the
English-language books describing it use French mathematical conventions
which I find *extremely* hard to follow.
(Don't get me started on the ways different countries drew electronic circuits.)