[erlang-questions] Turning rebar into a package manager

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Wed Oct 24 17:10:53 CEST 2012

Loic

On 23 Oct 2012, at 18:55, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

>> http://expm.co/ solves server side part. expm may add a plugin for
>> rebar to add "search" command. The slight problem with rebar is that
>> it is mostly used as a local per-repo binary, not as a global one.
>
> It doesn't solve the server side part. The package information available is for the most part entirely useless when you are looking for packages. It does the strict minimum for this purpose: small one-line description + keyword list. Plus you have to leave the package list and scroll down to find the github link where the useful information can be found. It's trying to do packages, when what I need is an index of projects. The index page there with a github/project homepage link instead of an internal link on the name would do wonders.

That would certainly be helpful.

> As for rebar being per-repo, that's not that true anymore.

How so? I'm still under the impression that this remains true:

- it gets dependencies locally
- resolving dependencies outside base_dir can break things

Maybe I've or become a bit out of touch with the bleeding edge changes. I'm a huge rebar fan/user so please correct me if I'm wrong.

> And since it's pretty much the de facto standard now, it's not really needed now.

Are you saying rebar is the de facto standard? I wish it was, and do wonder if inclusion in otp would make it more likely to be.

And what's not really needed? This expm thing, or a package manager in general?

Cheers
Tim