[erlang-questions] Configuration file pointing to other configuration files

Matthieu Vachon matthieu.ouellette-vachon@REDACTED
Wed Oct 24 16:02:37 CEST 2012

Hi All,

In the config documentation page
(http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/config.html), it is noted that since
R10B, the syntax of sys.config was extended to allow pointing to other
configuration files.

     [{Application, [{Par, Val}]} | File].

So, I was wondering if this mechanism is supposed to work when passing a
config file via the command line parameter (i.e. -config):

     erl -boot boot_file -config sys

I'm asking the question because in fact, I tried and I tried and I tried
without success. My config file looks like this:

     [
         {mnesia, [
             {dir, "db"}
         ]},

         "/home/user/project/sys.user.config",
     ].

But anything I put as the File parameter result in an error. I tried
without the .config suffix, with a relative path, at the beginning of
the line, at the end. It always saying it's an invalid application name.
With this kind of error, I fear it works only in conjunction with a full
release and its not meant to work with config file passes as command
line arguments. Is it right?

Here the full error message:

     could not start kernel pid (application_controller) (invalid config
data: invalid application name: "/home/user/project/sys.user.config")

Regards,
Matt