[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Tue Oct 23 09:45:16 CEST 2012

On 23/10/2012 06:38, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> Beeing private doesn't mean you won't need any help from external
> programmer. And sometimes they are foreigner.

So the team should write all module, function and variable names, and
all comments and documentation in a language in which none of them are
familiar, because one day they might need help from a foreigner?

> imo programming in that context is like math. It should be
> understandable by all. Now imagine if all maths where localized...

Chinese (hanzi) is a lot like math, in that meaning and pronunciation
are separated.  We all understand "5", however differently we pronounce
it.  In exactly the same way, we can understand "列" to mean list* even
though we all pronounce it differently (see en.wiktionary.org/wiki/列
for Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean & Vietnamese pronunciations).

imho, using hanzi for all module, function and variable names has a lot
going for it.  If you had a convention that module and function names
should be two characters long, the results could be very aesthetically
pleasing, e.g.:

   词典:新生()  %% dict:new()

Best wishes

Ivan

* Apologies to readers with decent Chinese

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy

                     ivan@REDACTED
                      www.llaisdy.com