[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Henning Diedrich hd2010@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 17:41:49 CEST 2012

On Oct 22, 2012, at 12:53 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> Let's take an example.
>
> game:start(PlayerName).
>
> ゲーム:初め(_プレイヤの名前).
>
> Again, like I said on Twitter, if you don't speak any English, that's better than doing:
>
> geemu:hajime(PureiyaNoNamae).
>
> In both case you English speaker wouldn't understand it.

That's actually a fun example. Japanese borrowing from English, I spot

game = geemu
player = pureiya (l=r)
name = namae

So thanks to latin letters, a German can read Japanese.

And have a beachhead into understanding the code. If it ever mattered.

But how many programmers do we really know who don't speak English?

Henning