[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Siraaj Khandkar siraaj.khandkar@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 17:40:36 CEST 2012

On Oct 22, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Loïc Hoguin wrote:

> On 10/22/2012 03:49 PM, Ulf Wiger wrote:
>> I assume the translation is faulty. As someone who doesn't speak
>> Hungarian, I think my understanding would be helped even if the
>> author tried writing the comment in broken English.
>
> Sure, it works as long as people can use English, even broken.
>
> But there's a huge number of people who can't. Look at where Erlang is the most recognized in the world: English speaking countries or countries where people are good at English. The rest of the world? Not so much.
>
> If you want to push Erlang to the rest of the world, you need to make it accessible to them.
>
> This proposal helps doing that. Another big step would be documentation translation, something which I'm hoping to overtake next year for French. Hopefully other languages will follow.

English doesn't seem to hurt OCaml's popularity in France. Am I mistaken? Yes,
there's French documentation, as there're books on Erlang in different
languages. But code is a different matter.

It seems most papers published by INRIA are in English as well. What gives?

http://hal.inria.fr/index.php?langue=fr&action_todo=browse&b_type=browse_domain

I am mostly in agreement with Yurii on this issue, although Fred's argument is
very compelling as well.

--
Siraaj Khandkar
.o.