[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 16:03:37 CEST 2012

Have you ever heard communities from any of the languages I listed (Ada,
C#, CL, D, Go, Haskell, J, Java, Mathematica, Perl, Python, Ruby1.9,
etc.) complain that "well we would accept that change, but it's
incompatible with Unicode variable names?" Have we had problems with
Spanish or Portuguese programmers submitting Spanish or Portuguese code
to OTP? That code exists, just without using other characters, and it's
just not much of a problem from what I understand.

Many of us are 'foreigners' already, and many of us made the effort to
switch to English to be understood -- hell, wasn't Swedish at the
origins of Erlang?  We all understood, pretty fast too, that English was
the way to go around here. I can tell you people who don't speak English
realize it also.

People speaking other languages only aren't morons. They damn well know
that the international community won't understand their language
already, and they probably deal with it daily. People on this list seem
to think that as soon as you allow other alphabets or glyphs, they'll be
invaded by foreigners taking over their code bases. It just won't
happen, the same way it doesn't happen already while it's entirely
possible to represent other languages in the current subset of Erlang.

I'd like to call bull shit on this entire premise. It's entirely made up.