[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 15:49:51 CEST 2012

I would also argue that today, as Open Source is extremely important,
one should think twice about promoting coding styles that make code
sharing much more difficult. As you say, learning English is more or
less a requirement in order to learn Erlang (and Comp Sci?) in the first
place, as well as to capitalize on the vast amount of Open Source code
out there. I view it as an extreme advantage to have a standard language
that we all use for documentation and (to the extent it's relevant) coding.

I recall an example in Kostis's Tidier talk in London [1], where the
comment was in Hungarian. In that particular context, it became a
source of amusement, since the code had been singled out for a bad
code smell, and it would have been interesting to know whether the
comment had anything to say about it (as it turned out, it didn't).

[1] http://www.erlang-factory.com/conference/London2009/speakers/kostissagonas

BTW, I just ran that particular comment through Google Translate:

%% Are equal if they can not tell you whether there are boobs ..
%% Can be considered to be like you, and later you might
%% Can be asked felhasznalaot he believes is

I assume the translation is faulty. As someone who doesn't speak
Hungarian, I think my understanding would be helped even if the
author tried writing the comment in broken English.

BR,
Ulf W