[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Rapsey rapsey@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 09:04:47 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Michael Richter <ttmrichter@REDACTED>wrote:

> On 22 October 2012 13:08, Yurii Rashkovskii <yrashk@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> Please excuse my ignorance, but can you name a single good reason for
>> non-latin atoms and variable names? From my personal point of view, this is
>> a sure road to hell.
>

> Because people frequently like to work in their own language instead of a
> foreign language they ill understand?
>
> Jesus!  How can so many smart people be so god-damned dumb over this issue?

I'm not from an english speaking country. I've worked for two development
companies and all had a strict english only rule on code and all
documentation. I am against this idea, simply because there are so many
more worthwhile things the OTP team could be spending time on. If we're
talking about unicode, a to_lower and to_upper function is a pretty big
missing feature.

Sergej