[erlang-questions] preserving state through a gen_server restart

Dmitry Kolesnikov dmkolesnikov@REDACTED
Sat Oct 20 13:57:14 CEST 2012

Hello Ivan,

I had a similar issue that you have.
I've done a small library https://github.com/fogfish/pts
The library is similar to gproc but it also it brings data owner/consumer interaction. E.g. you can build key/val storage over my_lamb processes.

The usage is very simple, please see pts_cache.erl for example. You have to hook pts with my_lamb after that process can be resolved via pns:whereis(N, Uid)

%%
%%
start_link(Ns, Uid) ->
  gen_server:start_link(?MODULE, [Ns, Uid], []).

init([Ns, Uid]) ->
   pns:register(Ns, Uid),
   {ok, #srv{ns=Ns, uid=Uid}}.

terminate(_Reason, #srv{ns=Ns, uid=Uid}) ->
   pns:unregister(Ns, Uid),
   ok.

Of course library does not preserve state ove crash but it keep {Ns, Uid} mapping to process is consistent manner even if process crashes. BTW, if you start to use either pts or gproc then my_lambs process becomes unnecessary overhead.

- Dmitry