[erlang-questions] two questions: secure traffic and

Wes James comptekki@REDACTED
Sat Oct 20 06:18:40 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Siraaj Khandkar <siraaj@REDACTED>wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2012, at 12:02 AM, Wes James wrote:
>
> > I finally have some of the functionality of:
> >
> > https://github.com/comptekki/esysman
> >
> > updated from just PC management to Linux and Mac.
> >
> > I have some questions regarding secure traffic and running as a root
> > process for some comands on linux/mac.
> >
> > 1. How do I secure the traffic between nodes?  I tried to find the email
> > about that the cookie was really not a security item and that the traffic
> > is just tcp.  What is best practice to secure traffic between nodes?
>
> Currently, the stable choice is a VPN tunnel between nodes on an untrusted
> network.
>
> Alternatively, if you feel like exploring new grounds, you can try
> communicating
> over SSH. Kenji Rikitake made the proof of concept here:
>
> https://github.com/jj1bdx/sshrpc

Ok thanks for these!

> > 2. On windows, I install the service and it has admin privs to do most
> > anything.  What would the best way be to install an erlang service that
> > needs to do "root" work on linux/mac systems?
>
> sudo

 I've always used sudo with a password, but it looks like I could set up a
user that doesn't require a password:

http://www.ducea.com/2006/06/18/linux-tips-password-usage-in-sudo-passwd-nopasswd/

Is there a different way?  Since when the app would sudo command remotely,
it would ask for a password where there's no way to type it in.

> --
> Siraaj Khandkar
> .o.
> ..o