[erlang-questions] Pmods, packages, Unicode source code and column numbers in compiler - what will happen in R16?

Patrik Nyblom pan@REDACTED
Thu Oct 18 16:39:22 CEST 2012

Hi (again) Fred!

On 10/16/2012 04:36 PM, Fred Hebert wrote:
> Additional question regarding column numbers and future UTF8 support:
> will the column number be based on byte length, grapheme clusters
> (what I would usually use when typing text in a module), include
> combining characters?
The scanner uses the utf8 encoding of files as it looks now, so it has
no concept of bytes. Which means grapheme clusters. I think that's the
only sensible approach.

The combining characters... Hmmm... We could translate them to their
proper code points too, but we only do that for file names now... Let me
get back to you on that one :)

> I think we've had many discussions regarding how difficult the idea of
> a length or position in a string can be to figure out -- and I know
> the unicode consortium makes its own recommendation there. I'm just
> curious which is going to be followed.
Cheers,
/Patrik