[erlang-questions] Pmods, packages, Unicode source code and column numbers in compiler - what will happen in R16?

Björn-Egil Dahlberg egil@REDACTED
Thu Oct 18 15:28:20 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-18 15:11, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> My personal and humble opinion is that the most rewarding way to
> explore is the one started by Joe with UBF (gosh, is it already been
> 10 years!?): devise a way to specify, control and handle the mesh of
> processes and their interactions, both at runtime and statically. This
> is what Erlang excels at and I don't see why it should try to emulate
> alien features in a feeble way instead of keeping to innovate  and
> improve on its strenghts. I can even glimpse material for a PhD or two
> :-)

I strongly agree with this.

It would be nice to see further work, by many people not just a few
people at some universities, on
  - on how to intuitively interact with large amount of processes,
  - which paradigms/behaviours should we use to interact with clusters
of processes or groups of clusters,
  - how do we hide details and illuminate control flow in our programs,
  - do we really need to turn our code into OO-code to get the feeling
of abstraction or is it merely an entrance point from java, ruby, python
and c++ people,
  - etc.

I say: go crazy! Do wacky stuff and present them at conferences so we
can debate them. Many things will surely be too crazy or have some
seriously flaws so it cannot be adopted. But, every once in a while we
get something really beautiful.

// Björn-Egil