[erlang-questions] Determing ERLANG_MAX_PORTS on running VM?

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Thu Oct 18 01:13:27 CEST 2012

On 10/17/2012 03:53 PM, Anthony Molinaro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the efficiency guide
>
>   http://erlang.org/doc/efficiency_guide/advanced.html#id67006
>
> there a few system limits discussed.
>
> The maximum number of processes can be set with +P and
> determined on a running system with
>
>   erlang:system_info (process_limit)
>
> However, the maximum ports does not seem to have an equivalent
> (also it only seems to be able to be set with an environment
> variable).
>
> Is there some way to get at the information on a running system?

Since an environmental variable is being used, the normal way would be:
$ erl -env ERL_MAX_PORTS 2
Erlang R15B02 (erts-5.9.2) [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.9.2  (abort with ^G)
1> os:getenv("ERL_MAX_PORTS").
"2"
2>

I am not aware of a different way to get (or set) the value.