[erlang-questions] suitability of erlang

Rustom Mody rustompmody@REDACTED
Mon Oct 15 19:11:56 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Jesper Louis Andersen <
jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED> wrote:

> Two, I've found that a very large factor of performance stems from the
> ability to try out clever solutions and be clever about what you do. And in
> my experience, this is easier to achieve in sane, modern languages like ML,
> Erlang or (to a certain extent) Haskell. Thus, if you can trade a slow
> solution for a faster one quickly, then you end up with a faster program in
> the end. Another factor is time constraint, where a higher level language
> lets you express the problem quicker.

Thanks Jesper for your comments.
I was brought up on lisp and have spent a couple of decades on Haskell and
such languages.  So the functional aspect of Erlang is not (likely to be)
an issue for me.

Concurrency however is new!

So any directions of exercises that I could try to get into 'the Erlang
groove' would be helpful.

[I am of course reading Joe's book]

Rusi