[erlang-questions] ets:select badarg question (R15B)

Patrik Nyblom pan@REDACTED
Mon Oct 15 17:42:49 CEST 2012

Hi!

On 10/15/2012 05:09 PM, Matthew Evans wrote:
> I'll rephrase that. This is my concern from the ets documentation for
> safe_fixtable/2:
>
> Note that no deleted objects are actually removed from a fixed table
> until it has been released. If a process fixes a table but never
> releases it, the memory used by the deleted objects will never be
> freed. The performance of operations on the table will also degrade
> significantly.
>
> Is there a potential problem on having a safe_fixtable "active" for
> long periods of time on a table having lots of inserts and deletes?
It all depends...
Memory-wise the deletes will actually take place after the fixation is
released.
Fixtable also means longer link chains in the buckets, so if you for
example will replace all the objects in the table once during the
timeslot, lookup will need to traverse twice as long lists for every
element.
If you do heavy insertion (without deletion), you will also get much
longer chains, as the number of buckets will not increase while the
table is 'fixed'.

So it depends on how much 'lots' is in your case...

Have you considered using ordered_set instead? Then you wouldn't need
fixation and would have no problem traversing the "moving" table.
Performance on ordered set is not as bad as you would think and you can
do nice optimizations when selecting by using partially bound keys.

/Patrik