[erlang-questions] ets:select badarg question (R15B)

Sverker Eriksson sverker.eriksson@REDACTED
Mon Oct 15 14:50:34 CEST 2012

You need to use ets:safe_fixtable/2 to get a "sensible" result from
select/match with continuation on unordered tables. Otherwise you may
miss records, get double hits and (as in your case) get badarg if the
table has shrunken due to deleted record causing the continuation to
point out of table bounds. One could argue that '$end_of_table' would be
a more suitable result than badarg for this case.

I see that the documentation is not clear about this. It describes usage
of safe_fixtable together with first/1 and next/2 but it does not state
that it also is needed for select/match with continuation.
Single call select/match does not need safe_fixtable.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP