[erlang-questions] suitability of erlang

Daniel Luna daniel@REDACTED
Thu Oct 11 19:43:34 CEST 2012

On 11 October 2012 12:38, Raoul Duke <raould@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@REDACTED> wrote:
>> In the 'normal' world (ie C++, Java, Python) there is a general
>> recommendation that converting a threaded solution to an event-driven
>> solution usually speeds up the program and removes hard-to-find bugs.
>
> please note that you are talking about problems that exist in those
> paradigms. there are other paradigms that do not have the exact same
> problems (and of course then have their own problems :-). i suspect
> The Erlang Way is different enough that it is probably a mistake to
> just take something for the usual crowd of programming language
> paradigms, and dump it onto erlang.

Let me pitch in an agreement here and on top of this mention that
there are several reasons the "general recommendation" doesn't even
make sense for Erlang:

1. there are no threads in Erlang
2. the standard programming patterns in Erlang (gen_server etc) are
already very event driven
3. the paradigm for Erlang in general is different from C++ or Java

Cheers,

Daniel