[erlang-questions] Process Dictionary limitations??

Charles Hixson charleshixsn@REDACTED
Thu Oct 11 00:55:46 CEST 2012

I'm choosing a language to implement a ... well, neural network is
wrong, and so is cellular automaton, but it gives the idea.  Anyway, I'm
going to need, in each cell, a few stateful items, e.g. activation level.

When I look at what Erlang can do, I see that the Process Dictionary
looks as if it would serve my needs, but then I am immediately warned
not to use it, that it will cause bugs.  These stateful terms will not
be exported from the cell within which they are resident.  Is this still
likely to cause problems?  Is there some better approach to maintaining
state?  (I can't just generate a new process, because other cells will
need to know how to access this one, or to test that it has been rolled
out.)

--
Charles Hixson